domingo, 16 de enero de 2011

Abriendo la ventana / Opening the window

I am going to open a small but at the same time large window in my world, in my life. I mean, to my art, to my paintings and to everything that I consider necessary to improve this window and this way it can be understood.

I'll start this blog by talking about my origins, my studies, and I am going to keep on this way.

I began drawing and painting on my own when I was a little girl, hidden in the servants’ quarters. When I was 9 years old, I borrowed an oil painting set from my brother, a set he had never used. In order to have a support to draw on, I used cardboard and empty yellow boxes which previously had contained radiographies. I cut them out and sewed a piece of cloth on their back, and I drew on them without priming. I found these boxes in the darkroom where my father developed the radiographies he had made himself.

I think I owe my practical ability to my father, who was a great doctor. Urologist. He studied his specialty at the Sorbonne, Paris. In those days, there were very few Spanish doctors who had the merit and the courage to study abroad. Even less, having been born in a little rural village in the Teruel of Aragón, deep in Spain and during a very dark period of history.

My father was a great surgeon with skillful hands, a good clinical eye and wisdom. He was a very well loved man by his family, patients and friends, although his work and merits never received the proper recognition they deserved.

Of course, I also think I owe part of my practical ability to my mother. She was perfectionist with embroidery; she made bobbin lace in her youth and embroidered sheets, wonderful tablecloths, bedspreads and everything which entailed great manual effort but brought little appraisal. Among many other things, she dressed us (my father, my brother, my sister and me) with perfect and fantastic clothes (made of wool or crochet) for many, many years.

Meanwhile, at the age of 15 I started my art studies at the Academy of D. Alejandro Cañada in Zaragoza. From there, I had to go to the Superior Art School of San Jordi in Barcelona (a few years later it became the Faculty of Fine Arts) since there wasn’t a Faculty of Fine Arts (and there is still no one) in my hometown, Zaragoza.
Officially I continued working for my degree in Seville, a very important city in my life, because the city is art itself. It's all in its environment, its geography, its architecture, its history and its population. But, not having the High School Degree, I wasn't allowed to obtain the official certificate of my studies in Seville.

Years passed and I wanted to graduate, so I obtain my Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts (5 years in Spain) from the University of the Basque Country. From my own experience, this University was one of the best centres of studies, mainly because of the maturity of its concept of teaching, among other things. For example, it was there that I learned so much about restoration… But it was in Vega Academy (Bilbao) where I was taught technical drawing clearly. During those months of study, my uncle D. Alvaro Pérez-Salado, who died a few years later in Bilbao, gave me his wonderful hospitality and genuine affection.

But to return to the story, I was 19 or 20 years old when I went to Seville and almost 23 when I returned to Zaragoza. Then, I almost continued my artistic formation in Italy, following the advice of a good and beloved friend of mine, Carlos Lloro. If the breeze caresses you, you know Carlos…
My father, who was a good man with an open minded vision of the world, also encouraged me to go to Italy.

I didn’t go.

In 1977, in my study located on Pedro Joaquín Soler Street, I began to learn my trade, my technique and I started to develop my true creative freedom. I had to find what I loved and why.

Nature.

Therefore, I painted some gardens and carried out other experiments like collages with cloths and several objects, using acrylics and oils.
I remember I used to look back to my past, diving in my memory and remembering why I was interested in painting as a child.
I went back to my origin to discover how and what I wanted to paint. I also knew that people didn’t recommend me to try hyperrealism, an art of painting I had never been taught.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voy a abrir una pequeña y gran ventana en mi mundo, en mi vida. Es decir, a mi arte, a mi pintura y a todo lo que yo considere en principio necesario para que esta ventana sea mejorada y entendida.

Para ello inicio este blog hablando sobre mis origenes, estudios... y así seguiré en adelante.

Comenzé a pintar de pequeña, por mi cuenta y a escondidas en la habitación donde dormian las muchachas de servicio de mi casa.
Le cogí a mi hermano una caja de óleos que él no usaba.
Yo tenía 9 años. Para tener un soporte sobre el que pintar, usaba cajas de cartón vacías -anteriormente habian contenido radiografias y recuerdo que además eran amarillas-, las recortaba y les añadía un trozo de tela que cosía por detrás y sobre la cual pintaba sin imprimación alguna.
Recogía algunas de estas cajas en el cuarto oscuro donde revelaba mi padre las radiografias que él mismo hacía a sus pacientes.

Mi habilidad manual creo debérsela a mi padre que fué un gran médico, urólogo y cirujano.
Estudió su especialidad en la Sorbona, París. En aquella época habia pocos médicos españoles que tuvieran el mérito y el valor de estudiar en el extranjero una especialidad. Menos aún habiendo nacido en un pueblo del Teruel profundo, de la España profundísima y en una época sumergida.
Mi padre fué un cirujano con una enorme destreza manual, ojo clínico y sabiduria.
Muy querido en su tiempo por su familia, pacientes, y amigos.
No fueron, ni han sido reconocidos sus méritos como el gran profesional que fué.

Por supuesto, a mi madre también creo le debo gran parte de mi habilidad manual. Ella era perfeccionista con los bordados, hizo encajes de bolillos en su juventud y bordó sábanas, manteles maravillosos e hizo también cubiertas para las camas a ganchillo y todo lo que conllevaba manualmente un gran esfuerzo y escasa valoración.
Entre otras muchas cosas nos cubrió durante muchísimos años de todo tipo de perfectas y estupendas prendas de vestir -hechas de lana, a punto- tanto a mi padre, mi hermano, mi hermana, y a mí.

Mientras, yo inicié mis estudios de dibujo y pintura a los 15 años con D. Alejandro Cañada en Zaragoza.
De aquella academia algunos nos íbamos luego a examinar a la Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes de San Jordi en Barcelona -años más tarde pasó a ser facultad de Bellas Artes- ya que en mi ciudad natal, Zaragoza, no había y sigue sin haber facultad de Bellas Artes.

Continué de forma oficial la carrera en Sevilla. Ciudad clave en mi vida. Siempre sentí que Sevilla es arte. Le ayuda su entorno, la geografía donde está enclavada, su arquitectura, su historia y su población.

Al no tener el bachillerato superior, no obtuve entonces el título oficial.

Cuando pasaron los años, quise ser licenciada y lo soy por la universidad del País Vasco. Por la Facultad de Bellas Artes de Leioa UPV, Bilbao-1992/029491-.
La facultad de Bilbao fué el mejor centro de estudios, según mi experiencia. Me gustó -entre otras cosas- la madurez en su concepto de enseñanza.
Pienso en lo que aprendí en clases de restauración, por ejemplo.
Pero fué en la academia Vega de Bilbao donde me impartieron con claridad dibujo técnico.

En esos meses recibí de mi tío -fallecido años más tarde en Bilbao- D. Álvaro Pérez-Salado su maravillosa hospitalidad y cariño, generoso, auténtico y enorme.

Pero volviendo atrás, yo tenía 19-20 años cuando fuí a Sevilla y cuando regresé a Zaragoza tenía 23 años. Casi continúo entonces mi formación artística en Italia aconsejada por un buen amigo mío y muy querido, Carlos Lloro. Artista desaparecido.
Si la brisa te acaricia, ya sabes, Carlos...

Mi padre, como el gran hombre que era, con la mirada abierta al mundo, también me lo aconsejaba.

No fuí.

En el año 1977, en mi estudio de la calle Pedro Joaquín Soler, empecé a aprender mi oficio -mi técnica- y a dar salida a mi auténtica libertad creativa.

Tuve que saber lo que amaba y porqué.

La naturaleza.

De ahí que pintara algunos cuadros de jardines y otros gratos experimentos como collages con telas y objetos varios, utilizando acrílicos y óleos.

Necesitaba volver la mirada a mi pasado, buceando en mi memoria y recordando los motivos que me hacían querer pintar cuando era una niña.
Volví a mi origen y así supe cómo y qué queria pintar. Sabiendo también que la pintura extremadamente realista no me la habían aconsejado, ni me la habían enseñado.




















No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario